Thursday, July 28, 2005

Arrival Debrief

Yo yo, been quite busy since returning. I could write about the flight, about how we watched several movies. I watched Fever Pitch, Hitch, and Guess Who. All not bad, some quite good.


Meeting Aaron and Jasper (and possibly Say Yang) for dinner tomorrow. My lovey just got a cell phone. Very nice, of course. Had dinner with her parents at Newton Circus, then the car parked next to her dad's car had a lorry that probably didn't put handbrake opposite that rolled backwards and was pushing against the car so probably if he drove off the lorry would roll more and that would be bad.


Well, with the very boring story I should probably go sleep. Feeling a little sick, haven't slept much I guess. Stepped on a snail and heard its shell crack. That was yesterday, when I was walking home from the bus stop. Didn't look. Too squeamish to go back and put it out of its misery.


Rudely awakened by the screeching bus yesterday morning, welcoming me back to Singapore, back to work. The screech is actually very controlled and purposeful, intentional and calmly irritating.


Bloody cockles. Oozing blood from the folds of their bulging flesh. Macbeth should have used lime juice. That might have worked.


I've inserted double insoles in my office shoes, and they're much more comfortable now. Snug as a bug. Or a hug. Maybe even a rug.


Did a science experiment Monday night. Trying to figure out if my new tennis racquet is heavier than the one I have. Tied pieces of thread to each racquet, then hung the threads on 2 ends of a very symmetrical plastic clothes hanger, and see which way it tipped. Conclusion is that my old racquet is probably heavier, but then I realized why the new one seems quite much heavier. The balance is further from the handle. The c.g. is near the chin of the racquet face, while my older racquet has the c.g. at the throat.


So we got back safely, my shoulder is pretty much back to normal, although it still hurts when I stretch it to weird angles (like backwards). Had to check-in my racquet, but it seems to have survived the trip buried amongst clothes. If there are fractures they're internal and invisible.


Assembled a cupboard on Monday night with my dad, we took about 3+ plus in total. It's a rather nice, big cupboard in the dining room, tall, many compartments, with some nice doors. Replaces the cupboard that was ruined by water that leaked from the wall due to a broken pipe, which was fixed while I was away.


Rode out my new bike this morning, and rode it back in the evening. It's good. It's yellow, and nice. We both got clip-on sunglasses in LA, which is kinda cute when we both wear them. Spent most of Monday relaxing, unpacking stuff at her place.


Haven't been given much work yet, as everyone's so busy, preparing for ISO audit. Helped Yinglan a little today with simplifying the process of doing some similar analysis 12 times (on 12 different populations).


Looking forward to the weekend, it's been a long time since I've played tennis. My lovey's new cell phone has a tennis game on it. Meeting Sam at Kallang Tennis Courts Saturday morning, and De En and Andy at De En's place at night. gz can't make it, unfortunately.


Brought 1kg of dark chocolate to office and offered to people. Half of it is almost gone. And I probably ate half of that half. Oh, and while we were checking-in our bags in LAX, lovey realized that we were missing the laptop bag! So I scrambled outside and the guy outside directed us inside and I went in and out and then he pointed me to this room and there it was, kept safely for us to find it. Whew.


My parents bought a new Toyota Camry, it's scheduled to arrive in September. Lovey sold her Toyota Corolla in the US. I got to see the Toyota Prius, I actually expected to see a small sedan, but it looked more like an SUV. Cool.

No comments: