Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Fiddling with GNOME

Hello, here I am again, fiddling with my gnome desktop. Customized the "panel" by deleting the one on top and fattening up the one below. Used the big foot icon, which is equivalent to the Windows "Start" button.


My lovey is in the US now, should be touching down in a couple of hours. It's been many an agonizing hour since she left for the airport this morning... It's easy to forget how much you can really miss someone when you've been with the person almost every day for the past few months.


Christmas is coming, and with it should come some holidays, but not that many, I guess. Back at work, it's more or less routine stuff, so I'm trying to explore macros for OpenOffice.org, and by the way, OOo2.0 looks very pretty compared to OOo1.1. Version 2 has a database component, but it seems they threw in a lot of Java dependence, which some people aren't happy about because Java is not open source.


I'm thinking of writing about the death penalty soon, and maybe write in a letter to The Straits Times about it. It's good that you have "SQL view" with a MS Access query, because though the "Design view" is more user friendly, SQL lends itself to a simple "Find and Replace" using a text editor (to modify it to use a different source table).


For some strange reason, I was down with a sore and runny nose over the weekend, but I'm better now. I guess I should be able to take IPPT on Wednesday, but passing it this time is a different matter.


Tennis this weekend looks promising; last Saturday I was playing against the wall at NUS... I brought back two wooden kendo swords from Korea. I wonder if they'll come in useful someday.


Lots of staff movement in the coming months. This month one of the officers leaving. A new one to take her place. Soon my boss and her boss will leave, but I think the dates aren't fixed just yet. In a manner of speaking, I'll be leaving a few months after that too. But that's still quite a ways away.


I wonder if anyone still pokes around this place besides the spambots. If so, hello! Chances are I haven't seen you in a long time too. Oh well. Perhaps I've never even seen you before.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the physical poet, I need a little inspiration... I've read your post 'this post', I enjoyed it so I decided to comment. I've been thinking about my blog and how there are all these people posting strange comments there. Maybe you understand, I'm not sure, but it's tiring to read the numbers of comments that don't have much to do with my stuff. My normal cheap surf board website never suffers this because it just sells cheap surf board and isn't a blog. Do you have any ideas for how to stop the cluttering of non-relevant comments? Thanks for your great blog. Tips are always welcome...

good day -

Anonymous said...

Howdy the physical poet,
I'm impressed with what you wrote here in your this post post. I gave up my search for used surfboards information and wanted to hang out here on your blog - well done. I might make a blog like yours about used surfboards, but I wouldn't try to compete with you. You're doing a great job the physical poet.
You got a great thing going... by friend.