Friday, June 30, 2006

Project Joy

I just remembered that I took part in a haiku contest some time back, and went to google for it just now, and found out that I was the winner! I thought they were supposed to notify me by email, somehow I never got it.


Anyway,

The winning haiku will be printed on a postcard promoting Project Joy. The winner will also get the chance to present his/her haiku at a Project Joy concert.

In addition, the winner gets one pair of tickets to a Crossroads 2006 evening performance.


For posterity:

The winning entry is:
quiet spaces fill
the coat and shirtsleeves hanging
on the bamboo poles

- Darren Tan


Got a look at some of the reports from my OCS days. Quite interesting, reading about the times I didn't try hard enough to bash through the bush when charging the enemy, when I took my time and tread carefully over a drain.


And who could forget (though I did, until now) my "drinking water at FUP" incident. I remember we were at Tekong, and I suppose the section was getting ready to do fire-movement, and no one told me you're not supposed to drink water! Haha... it was a Hibbert moment (Hibbert the scared-to-die soldier in Journey's End, a play we read for GCE O-levels), you know, dry mouth, self-care.


Anyway, the one word I remember from OCS was pride. You had to have pride. Pride was the reason that was supposed to motivate you. And everything else becomes a privilege.

No comments: