Friday, February 23, 2007

The Weekend Before I'm a Teacher

Sprained my finger yesterday when I carelessly hit away a basketball that was not quite in my reach. It's pretty swollen now, but can still play floorball. Had a few games of Captain's Ball with my maths classmates in NIE before we head out for our practicum.

I was trying to provide a link to a site about Captain's Ball butbut couldn't really find one. The game is basically like netball, except that the "net" is someone on your team standing on a chair to catch the ball for the team to score.

Handed in my Physics Test Construction Assignment today. Got my bike repaired, replaced the inner tube of the rear wheel that had leaked. Saw some students from Juying at the marketplace as I waited for my bike, filling me with anxiety and dread.

How am I going to connect with these students? I've been to America and back, but still I've really only interacted with the more overachieving crowd.

Cycled over to the school to have a look, didn't quite go in because there was a sign advising visitors to sign in with the general office first. The school is tucked away in a little corner of Jurong, next to Juying Primary, which is next to a military installation (that seems to be undergoing construction). It seems that the school field is "shared", there were signs pointing the way but I didn't quite pursue it as I was on my bike, and the path was rather makeshift.

So I start my practicum there on Monday. Exciting and scary. Need to spend the weekend doing some administrative preparation for it. Got a floorball game at Tampines Sports Hall on Sunday. Is there any point saying that we need to win this game? But we do. We haven't won a single game yet.

Attending this talk on Mental Wellness Through Resilience (PDF) tomorrow. The PDF file seems a little malformed on my computer though, with a bold swathe of grey running down the left side from the IMH logo right through to the HPB logo.

No comments: