Friday, August 27, 2004

36 Gmail invites

that's 36 GB of storage space. I wish I could redeem that for a new hard disk or something. Anyway, the women's field hockey finals ended 2-1 for Germany, who were supposed to lose, or so the commentator claims. There was a cute narration by him, when Scully had the ball, and passed it, he was like "Scully... over to Mulder... just kidding".

I'm meeting Jasper tonight. He asks if we should watch Secret Window or 13 going on 30. My preference is probably for Johnny, but he probably prefers to watch the latter show.

So, just to repeat, I have 36 Gmail invites to give out, and they'll most probably be useless soon, after Google decides to take Gmail out of beta and allow anyone to sign up. Google's launched its IPO some days ago, in case you haven't heard.

One of the biggest problems I've had with linux so far was shutting down. As you can see, I haven't really played with it much yet. The Debian login screen didn't allow me to log in as root, and as a user I don't have shutdown privileges. Luckily my network card or whatever was properly detected and I could go online and surf for a solution. Of course, I could have simply fired up the other computer to go look too, had I not been connected to the internet.

The solution is to open up a terminal and issue the command 'su', which stands for 'switch user', and if you just write su then it automatically switches to root (and prompts for password). Then as root, issue 'shutdown -h now', with the -h switch standing for 'halt', which is a state from which you just press the power switch to power down.

Feel like playing hockey after watching hockey games on TV. The women are quite good, though definitely not as good as the men. Their equipment quite cool, lor. They were wearing this glove-like thing on their left hand, which is puffy on the knuckle side. Prevent grazing when putting the stick to the ground on the left side.

And the Spanish men's team had these masks they wore during the shot corners. Presumably to protect the face, but it also looked very garang and fierce. That's the idea. It was a red and yellow swirl design, to go with their outfit.

No comments: