Wednesday, August 18, 2004

clear thinking

now that i've had a bit more time to think about it, it's not so simple just deleting a partition on my hard drive and creating a linux partition. because my hard drive has a primary and an extended partition, and there are several logical drives on that extended partition. so, even if i delete a logical drive, that doesn't free space on the drive for a linux partition, because the extended partition still fills up the drive.

my options now seem to be either get some software to non-destructively re-partition, or use another hard drive, most likely attached to the desktop.

i just did a google for partitioning, and i might try
Partition Manager
[ http://www.ranish.com/part/ ]
and pray that my data doesn't get wiped. i should definitely back up my files before trying this...

No comments: