Sunday, October 03, 2004

luck has nothing to do with it

A few days ago, I failed again to kill the cockroach. Had a good chance, but blew it. Threw the slipper at it but it was at where the floor meets the wall at an edge, so the slipper landed at roughly 45 degrees to both the floor and wall so the cockroach was unharmed, and without ado scurried beneath the stove.

Forgot to mention that the branch went bowling yesterday, as part of "work". Was really lucky, because I got a 140. Got a 1 on the first throw after at least 4 years, and got a 0 on the next (the ball went to the exact same spot where the pin I knocked down was) for a grand total of 1 for the first frame. My boss got 141. Broke my thumbnail pretty bad though, luckily they had nail clippers at the counter.

Met Jasper just now, and we watched a show, and he says this is his all-time favorite. It's getting somewhat suspicious that every show he watches gets better and better. It was a Korean show with English subtitles, The Cool Guy, some soppy love story cum tragedy and comedy, but not a tragicomedy. I realize a good formula for an emotional twist to a movie is for there to be 3 friends or brothers, and for some traumatic event to happen to one of them, that person might even die and then the other 2 friends drift away, maybe one of them angry at the other for the death.

Tonight is poker night at my house, my dad's friends are over. I'm sleepy and tired, but it's good.

In a flash of coincidence, on Thursday I think, over lunch the guys at work were talking about executions, and what would be the best way to be killed, other than lethal injection, because that's probably the best. Someone said hanging, I think, which might really not be so bad. Actually, decapitation might be quite painless, but I think the real problem with that is the thought that one's body is no longer whole, that the head is separated from the body. And then you think gruesome thoughts of blood and someone holding up your head by the hair. An intact corpse doesn't elicit the same gut reaction.

Maybe we should listen to our head, not our guts. But I guess in this case the head doesn't want to go either. They added a twist in the knife, so the speak, replacing the firing squad with an amateur shooter standing far away so he probably won't hit a clean shot, etc.

Food for thought, eh? Going with Aaron to the club tomorrow. Jasper's not going, not sure if Say Yang will be there. I need to get enough sleep this weekend. But, as put eloquently in this review of Debian,

As any experienced hacker will tell you, sleep is no substitute for caffeine.

I'm looking forward to a new whole week of coding.

No comments: