Saturday, November 20, 2004

mobile phone charges

Great thing for free incoming calls! In Singapore they like to implement "free incoming" in such a way that they bill you first, then "discount" the amounts "made free" by the plan. For example, my local call charges were about $316, then they subtracted $261 for the incoming calls. This system works, but it'd be much more sensible to only show charges for usage that's not covered by the plan.

That's how they do it in US, but it's easier for them because the distinction they make between "peak-period" versus off-peak is usually that every minute costs X minutes during peak, but there's unlimited nights and weekends (each minute then costs 0 cents). Then each plan has say 300 free minutes, so when you get the bill, you get charged the monthly charge for your plan, plus any extra minutes you use.

But here, peak period might cost 20 cents, and off-peak 10 cents, so they total usage for the month, say $40, then the plan includes $20 worth of talk-time, but you pay $10 for the plan, so it's $10+$40-$20=$30 that you actually have to pay.

By the way, I was cleaning my glasses, and broke one of those plastic pieces that rest on the nose. So replaced both of these with those from my dad's old glasses. Oh, and in another by-the-way, Olinda's out of the Singapore Idol competition. It's great she got so far, I would have wanted her to win, because she's got an awesome voice, but you know, it's a popularity contest, and Singaporeans being quite superficial, she probably doesn't have groupies to vote for her.

1 comment:

gambitch said...

Ollie did good. I didn't watch, because I don't like to watch these things - I'm not a pop music guy - but I think Ollie was the most outstanding and would have most deserved the win. She left the best impression of the lot.

I'm still not going to watch the final. There are better things to watch.