Sunday, February 13, 2005

Comments

According to Blogger, commenting is improved, can be other than blogger user or anonymous. Check it out! I've rebuilt my version 2.6.8 kernel, customizing it for my computer. Took out the initrd-ness (initial RAM-disk) of it, compiled the file support and hardware support directly into the kernel, and disabled APCI and enabled APM, so now the "toshutils" work! At least the "fan" program does, haven't really tried the rest. So now the fan is turned on all the time, which makes my laptop cool. Haven't seen a crash yet.

GRUB, the Grand Unified Bootloader, is really cool. It does a good job of automagically creating its configuration file on the fly based on the kernels (initrd or not) found in /boot. And unlike LILO, there is no need to re-run GRUB to rewrite the MBR each time the configuration changes. Just need to modify /boot/grub/menu.lst

My "first" kernel recompile after reinstall was rather sub-optimal. X server couldn't launch because mouse support wasn't built into the kernel. I worked from the kernel configuration that Debian supplied, which was an initrd kernel, where almost everything was built as modules. So on my next attempt, built mouse support into the kernel core, plus removed more unnecessary modules, like the code supporting "exotic" filesystems.

It's really sweet that everything's running nicely now. The comforting buzz of the laptop fan reminding me of how cool everything is. Added "vga=792" bootparam under GRUB's kopt line, now tux sits there looking cute as the kernel loading messages fly by. And the messages are displayed at high resolution also (small fonts).

My Toshiba Satellite is reborn.

My granny is doing better, yesterday she said something that was almost discernable. Or so I think. And her left leg is getting stronger too.

Went "visiting" at the boss of my boss. We played mahjong (no money), blackjack (money), and this board game called "cashflow" (fake money). This has been my first hongbao season in 5 years now. And the break is almost over.

Will be posting a poem to this blog soonish, and this time you can hold me to it.

Can anyone tell me what day today is?

No comments: