Thursday, February 10, 2005

Sarge

Installing Debian this time was really sweet. Installed the "Sarge" (testing) release, which has the cutting-edge versions of stuff. Almost cutting-edge, perhaps, there's still the unstable release, codenamed "Sid".

It helped that I've installed Debian before, it was much smoother this time, used a 2.6 version kernel, the installer looks nicer and more powerful. Sound works (it didn't the last time round because I used the "idepci" 2.2 kernel, and I looked at the documentation again, and it does say sound does not work with that kernel!). The thing I need to fix is the internet connection, somehow it didn't automatically work the way it did the last time. USB works like a charm, though, it was plug and play with my thumbdrive.

Before installing Debian, used presizer to resize partitions, and again I'm very happy with the program. Also used jigdo to download the Debian ISO image, it's a clever program that breaks the image down into logical pieces, so can download the pieces then reassemble. And if a piece (representing some program, in this case) is updated, there's no need to download all the pieces over again, can re-use the pieces that are the same to create another ISO!

Logged in to both GNOME and KDE, and they're both so pretty! Much improved from the GNOME and KDE I was using in Debian Woody (stable release). The default bootloader in Sarge is GRUB (as opposed to lilo), it seems.

I'm off to try to figure out how to get online in linux. Writing this from Windows.

No comments: