Saturday, September 11, 2004

Hungry Hungry Hippos!

So, went for that humanimal forum, and it was generally ok. Kinda reminds me of when I was in Princeton and there were all sorts of talks all the time. The first session was quite good, started off the day well. A lot of discussion about zoos, whether they should all be closed down, and what purpose they serve, etc. My takeaway is that this is primarily twofold: one is like keeping a library of species, and the other is educating (and somewhat entertaining?) people about animals.

A very troubling report on the hunting/trapping of primates for various reasons, either for personal pleasure, for some body parts, or for laboratory research. They are kept in cages and they just go mad and there is such a strong resemblance in their faces and bodies with us. And when they go mad they do things like bite their arms to the bone. It's so inhumane.

The second session was not as engaging, also, I was kinda tired, so fell asleep partway through. There was some food before the second session, and it was quite good. Char Siew Pao and Ham Sandwiches, vegan-style. Then after the second session, more food, again free: the vegan satay was spooky because after I ate it I was almost certain it was actually pork and had a somewhat sick feeling in my gut. But it was really tofu-based, or something like that.

In the third session Alfian Sa'at spoke about Asi Mat YoYo (however you spell that), the TV show from long time ago if anyone remembers. So I learn that Muslims can't actually touch pigs or dogs (according to the Koran, I suppose), and so the cat is the default small animal pet of choice. (YoYo and YaYa were kids dressed up as cats, one male one female.) So there was possibly some racialization of animals.

Anyway, some of these people were kinda annoyed that the Anacondas movie was set in Borneo when anacondas are found in Brazil, or something like that. Like, I didn't even know that anacondas were non-fictional. Which leads me to note that SAFRA members (like myself) can go buy Golden Village vouchers at SAFRA clubs for $5.50, which can be used for movie (normally priced at $7.50 or $8.50), coupons valid until late next year. But they say terms and conditions apply but didn't say exactly what those were. And SAFRA members also get 10% off petrol at SPC.

Hungry Hungry Hippos!

No comments: