Friday, June 17, 2005

Embedded Report

Quite a lot of people came to our exhibit and because the place is generally loud, my throat was dry after talking to each person. Most of them were interested in when they could get their hands on the program. In due time, I say. Tiring standing up the whole day, but not a bad experience.


Tomorrow I'll be there in the morning all by myself because we're in a seriously busy period and this thing is severely draining our manpower. Will go back to work in the afternoon. Everyone has been rushing work, I think they did OT last night. I hope no need to OT tomorrow.


Anyway, the Minister of Defence came by and my boss talked to him, and he asked who the programmer was, so then he talked to me a bit, asked me how long I took to write it (or was that someone else?). The photo that captured my interaction with him is pretty funny, I'm in a weird pose because I'm like leaning forward and smiling and it's all blur from the movement.


There was this "silent drill" performance, which isn't exactly silent because there's music with which they coordinate their movements. But they shouldn't twirl and throw rifles around, especially if there are attached bayonets. Someone dropped a rifle.


Also got these high-tech soldiers walking around wearing what look like sunglasses and a rearview mirror (which is probably some visual feed). It would have been nice to check out some of the other exhibits, but that wasn't really possible. Got some quite cool, high-tech ones.


So it was kinda ironic, the team next to us promoting the use of OpenOffice.org, and we showcasing macros written for MS Excel, which don't automatically port over to OpenOffice. The guy from that booth realized that this was one rather big factor they failed to consider, after someone asked about it. Anyway I said I'll look into it. The thing is that the language is just a different dialect, but the "objects" (or at least the organization of the objects) are quite different. He's a teaching scholar and is going to ORD end of this month, like Sam.


And I just learnt that there was yet another casualty from office on Wednesday, when I was at SAFTI for rehearsal. Freaky day, the 15th of June, 2005. The branch head from the other branch had his retina detached or something. Also, this is going to sound dumb, but it seems the doctors have decided that my granny has a urinary tract infection, not a lung infection.


Maybe can have tennis one of the weekday nights next week... I'm even considering going to a court myself this weekend and just practising my serve...


Saw on the news today that parts of a chopped up woman were found in two cardboard boxes, the first one found was washed up on the shore. The other was discovered upon searching the area. And seems some NS person drowned...

No comments: