Friday, May 20, 2005

Connect The Dots

AcidFlask is doomed to being known as affiliated with A*Star. Put together "ex-scholar" and "made defamatory comments about A*Star" so you get him being an A*Star scholar.

Luck is so capricious. One second it's good, one second it's bad. I failed my IPPT by 1 second. Did 12:21, passing is 12:20. The thing though is that at first it seemed that my timing was 12:19, then when results came out it was 12:21, and they explained that they had 2 stopwatches, the first stopwatch started timing late (button was stuck or something), so the one that reads 12:21 is the accurate one. They didn't budge even with my CO's intervention.

I managed to pass the other stations, including an incredible 9.2 seconds on the shuttle run. Obviously some uncertainty/error introduced by the human timer. I scraped a 6th chin-up, but a while after I dismounted, I had the weirdest sensation. I was like my entire body was about the self-destruct, like my ribs were stretching apart and my legs about to crumble. I think after I squatted down and made myself small it went away and I was ok.

Sit ups could comfortably do 35, which is 3 points. Standing Broad Jump not too bad, did 240cm, which pales in comparison with 280cm that I did in my prime, but then again everything else does. Except shuttle run. I have NEVER even heard of a 9.2 second one before.

My thighs are aching. Going up stairs is a painful process. Going to play tennis with the branch guys tomorrow morning. Playing tennis with Aaron and Jasper on Sunday morning (which is the day after tomorrow). Haven't heard back from gz whether we're playing this weekend. So hopefully with three "potentially regular" sessions I can average at least one a weekend.

Squash might be a regular weekday evening event too, and maybe even badminton. Must find a way to reinstitute "LIFE Day" in the department, which was originally supposed to be every Thursday afternoon free to do some sports and exercise.

The US is totally due for an increase in gas mileage standards. It conserves resources, saves money, and creates jobs. I'm totally due for some rest, otherwise tomorrow tennis will die. But I can also do without running, and just hit the ball. The badminton+squash+IPPT has taken its toll on me.

Cloning is the solution to all sorts of things. It simplifies tedious work like preparing 10 copies of a file, which would otherwise involve photocopying (at least this type of cloning exists), punching holes, affixing "flags", filing... it's also been suggested that cloning me might be useful.

Happy 20052005!

No comments: