Monday, May 02, 2005

Call for Volunteers

Playing badminton with Eugene and his friends tomorrow, then on Saturday evening playing tennis with gz and friends. Condo courts still need to pay, though it's cheap: only $4 for 2 hours. Hope to mark as "regular event".

Went gym today, I've definitely gone soft. Did the legs bent 90 degrees back resting against a pillar but couldn't will myself to hold the position for long. Last time I used to do the same thing against the wall of my room, and I think the mental distance I would go back then was farther.

Fiddled with the XML file for the GDM login screen, and I felt happy. Did a bit more fiddling just now and when I was almost done, I did a stupid thing. Deleted a line "" so was thrown an error, so I replaced it with "" and was thrown another XML error, so I didn't know what happened. Used a diff viewer (meld) to compare with the original file and finally traced the error.

Met gz last night, he lent me an Aimee Mann CD (gz: I think the CD is from Cash Converters, since there was a Cash Converters sticker on it), and I also bought a Garbage CD (beautifulgarbage) from HMV, which was having a sale. It was $16, as was Damien Rice's CD, so that kinda sucked because I bought the latter at CD-RAMA that day for $21.

Went to granny's place just now, there was a scare because she was choking for some time on her porridge. Could go install linux for my uncle tomorrow, but too rushed in the morning since I'm planning to play badminton. So still haven't installed linux for anyone except myself yet. Any volunteers? =)

Aaron told us today how there are many women going in for abortions. It's cool that he doesn't have to be involved because he objects. It's good that he realizes that making abortion illegal is also not the way to go, because that leads to unregulated operations that oftentimes lead to the death of the mother as well. Sigh.

When out with gz last night, saw my dad's friend's young daughter with a boy, though I guess like my sister, she's not so young anymore. Also saw this guy who works in MINDEF and sometimes arrives at about the same time as me. He walks like he's falling, has quite a bad deformity of some sort in his legs, but amazingly he keeps his balance. Must have taken loads of practice. His legs constantly seem as though they're buckling under him, I think it's mostly his right leg because he's always right-leaning.

Then on the way home, waiting for 70 at Yio Chu Kang MRT, there was a thug behind me talking on his cell phone. I say he's a thug because he was telling this guy how he met this guy who I think said something about him and he grabbed the guy's shirt and "scared the wits out of him", twisted his right arm too. I think the 2 gangs are going to meet and then he and that guy will go at it 1-on-1.

I plan to read The Messiah of Stockholm by Cynthia Ozick, I think this was recommended by my professor in Princeton. This is the professor I had in my first semester, for a Freshman Seminar, and the books we read for the course were really amazing.

Jasper is done with his exams, and needs to pass his Psychology modules, and get an A- average on his two Mathematics modules in order to get a 1st class honours. I spell that with a "u" because this is an NUS honors. He has a week to vacate his hostel room.

Garbage is quite pleasant to listen to. On a casual listen, Androgyny stands out. SMRT has submitted an application to raise public transport fares. Singaporeans put about $600 million in jackpot machines last year. I need to jump. My lovey says Once Were Warriors is a great film, if I got it right. Jasper tells me that movie prices have taken a hike yet again. It's now $9.50 on "weekends", which I think extend possibly until Thursdays!!

No comments: