Saturday, April 30, 2005

The Sun Will Rise

Seems like they want to increase the price of public transport (MRT and buses). And they made record profits last year. Something like that. And the estimated average price of a bus fare is 64 cents. What rubbish. The cheapest bus fare is 63 cents and the average is 64 cents? Whenever I take bus I usually take more than one bus, and even on one bus it's usually 83 cents or 103 cents! I don't know how they did the calculation... they should factor "transfers" as a single bus fare too. Maybe they consider you take 83 cents bus then transfer and take another bus that costs 63 cents, but with the transfer rebate of 25 cents, that means 121 cents for two buses, which means 60.5 cents per bus. When they should instead count that as 121 cents bus fare.

Ran this morning, did about 13 minutes for 2.4km, which means I need to run a minute or so faster. Crap. Was so tired when I got home. Oh, and on the track there were markings saying 1m, 2m, etc. so I tried out my standing broad jump. Last time this was my best station, I could do about 2.7--2.8m. Today I did something like 2.2m. I'm so screwed...

Anyway (for lack of a better sentence opener; as you might have noticed, I overuse "anyway", really, I guess I have trouble with transitioning...), gz can't play tennis this Monday. Did some research on tennis court bookings, it costs about $9.50 an hour to play at the Yio Chu Kang tennis courts (if they aren't already taken!), and at SAFRA Yishun it's about $6.30 an hour. Quite expensive, I guess...

I think I need to jump and touch the ceiling. That's what I used to do last time, in my room, jump and touch the ceiling 10 or 20 times. My mum would think I'm crazy and ask me to be careful not to hit my head.

Currently my tennis options are gz's cousin's condo, and possibly Sam's uncle's condo. Eugene wants to learn how to play tennis, and I don't mind teaching him. I like to teach. One limitation of tennis is the courts, another is the time. The weekend is so short. If I run on Saturday mornings with CO, which I should, that leaves Saturday evening, which is a good time, and then Sunday morning go gym and swim with Aaron and Jasper, then Sunday evening see granny...

Good thing MINDEF there got badminton, can play with Eugene after work. Though he's starting to clear leave already and going to ORD... weekday evenings are a good time for sports, provided can get there quickly and finish playing before dinner. I'll probably join Eugene and his friends (don't know who) for badminton on Monday morning, he says he booked courts.

My CO asked if I read a lot, and I said I used to, and told him about my bookshelf at home. So when I got home I took a look and picked out some books. To get myself motivated at home, I'll read a novel. Then I'll leave a book of poems (Rilke) in office, for no-commitment reading. And I'm carrying my American Scientist issue for reading on the move.

Happy May Day tomorrow, everyone! Say Yang tells me he has to work every day in May, including Sundays.

No comments: