Friday, April 08, 2005

What a Day

Very interesting day. Felt a little high when I was by myself at J8 after having dinner after the run, going home, walking to the bus stop. Singing about the Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

It was a royal pain getting up this morning, as it always is when I need an alarm clock. It's not as difficult when I'm seized with the fear that I've overslept. It's like I'm weighed down with the ridiculous robes of royalty.

But it's such a difference riding a bike with properly inflated tires. I just pumped the tires 2 days ago, and the pump is quite defunct now. When the tires are almost flat, pedalling is such a chore, I push with my legs but the wheels refuse to turn.

In the afternoon I got an unexpected call from B00n T4t, and more unexpectedly, he said he was being posted to MINDEF. Turns out B00n T4t and Andy are both posted to same unit! They commissioned last Saturday, and are attached here for 3 months (not in my unit lah).

Seems they were posted to Amoy Quee camp, which is very near my house, like gz, but they're now attached out. They both live in the west, which is where MINDEF is, I think.

I get to wear civilian and they don't get to knock me down. B00n T4t tried but I guess it didn't work, probably because I'm not tuned to that mentality. It seems B00n T4t saluted an LTC (he doesn't need to) and so Andy turned away. That's pretty funny, the two of them.

Going to meet them for lunch tomorrow and go running in the evening again (at least that's what B00n T4t wants to do, maybe we can negotiate... or it can rain), then probably go for dinner.

I went to a Mac shop in J8 just now, the Mac Mini looks cool. It's a really tiny desktop system, about the size of my external Iomega USB CD writer. Imported CDs from China are quite common, because Sembawang music store (in J8) carries them. Can get the Avril Lavigne CD for $10!

Been taking CO's car a lot lately, since I went for dinner with him last night and went running with him tonight. And he lives in bishan, so it's convenient if he drops me there.

Last night he asked me why I took up a scholarship (the primary reason was to study overseas, and it's a good deal because you get a job after that!), then tonight he told me about his experiences today in the board interviewing SAF scholarship candidates.

We discussed the reasons why there's so much difference between those applying for local scholarships and those applying for SAFOS. He wondered if it was that the education system in Singapore was so diverse, which I guess is so: some schools certainly have more resources than others.

I said I felt it was more upbringing, the influence of parents. For some reason, some people keep in touch with current affairs while others are more interested in neutrons and magnets, for example. And of course SAFOS is more competitive, so people prepare much more.

How to bring up kids? That's tough. Need to guide them and need to let them be. I think the general principle is to give them space to explore their interests and talents.

I'm taking off on Monday, going medical in morning. Also taking off the following Wednesday, again got medical in the late morning.

There's a WITs project I saw that basically said it'll cost X dollars to develop software to do this thing, and we don't really need to do this thing anyway, so let's not do it, thus resulting in a cost avoidance of X dollars. It won $500.

Did some coding for the website today. I might be done with the requested features in a week, though I was given a month; breathing space is always good. I'm glad I managed to reduce a lot of fragmented code duplication by storing the web server path as a variable. I guess I should have thought of it earlier, but at least I have it now.

Gave a brief overview of Excel macro coding to Sam and Yinglan. Ben did an attachment at IBM, remind me to ask him how that was like.

OpenOffice.org 2.0 is in beta. I've installed version 1.1.4 for Jasper. It's really great that OOo has a one-touch conversion to PDF feature. I think that's awesome because it's very necessary.

Wah, got cute screensaver of a little ant with a little lamp that illuminates a small patch of my screen. The screen is warped like it is a flat surface in perspective, and the ant is shining its lamp on the ground.

No comments: