Friday, April 15, 2005

Do you have the P-touch?

B00n T4t passed me the chapteh today, it's a little different from the one we used to play in RI. This one has pink, fluffy feathers and is weighted by 2 thin metal discs. The rubber base construction looks more solid, though. The one we used to play after school had stiff feathers of several colors, with a few rubber discs as weight, and a nail going through the discs into the feathers holds the chapteh together.

Used the Brother P-touch label system today, and it's really cool. It prints out text on a piece of laminated adhesive, and I wonder how they do it. I thought maybe it's like the ink is made visible in patterns by heat or something, but probably they actually print and then laminate as the tape is fed through. The thing is though, I don't know if there is an ink cartridge to replace... will have to examine its guts.

I used it to create a label to the effect that a good programmer must be lazy, and stuck it on my monitor. My boss saw it and asked about it, so I explained. I probably should have said that this wasn't an original idea, and is somewhat of a quote. But one can explain without disclaiming.

Ever wondered what dry cleaning is about? Basically it is "dry" because it doesn't use water, but it uses a liquid solvent instead (perchlorethylene). It seems now there's also a liquid carbon dioxide solution, which is more environmentally friendly. Whatever the case, it's still a washing machine tumbling process.

I've been taking taxi too often... sheesh... today I would have caught my transport if a taxi had come! But waited so long and still no taxi and by that time missed transport already so took a bus some distance then got a taxi in no time. I think the problem is that my place is just off the CTE exit, or maybe (and now that I come to think of it, more likely) it's that my place is just before an industrial estate.

One tends to take too much of something when one has the idea that one can never get too much of that thing. Had a huge serving of fruits after lunch, though that was because I thought B00n T4t and Andy would take some.

It's not so much that my stuff is messy, it's just that my information is messy. Scraps of paper here and there, stacks of undifferentiated material I should file and sort, but it's just so much work. So I leave the piles sitting on the floor, and let them grow.

Today at work I did some sorting out of the massive amounts of stationery we have kept in a cupboard. There are also lots of electrical cables and computer cables and accessories. Which is why I got to playing with the P-touch. As for the information I have in office, it's also a mess like at home, except that I can usually just junk it if it gets out of hand. But digital information I keep quite organized.

I think the underlying reason is that space is quite a limiting factor for hardcopy information. Or maybe because it just takes so much extra work, because pieces of paper all look so similar. It's not like staplers and pencils, that you can tell apart in a flash. To organize information, you need to create files and folders, and you probably even have to tag it using post-it flags or similar.

So I contend myself with keeping my table and wires tidy, and dumping paper into my drawer and locking it up and hope I don't have to find something in there. And usually I don't, because the information is in an organized, manageable, enhanced format on my computer(s).

I'm going running tomorrow morning, then going dentist in afternoon, going club on Sunday, then on Monday evening we're going to play basketball again. Before it's midnight, I shall complete this post and then head off to bed.

No comments: