Tuesday, March 01, 2005

machines

Fully appreciated how tired I was when I reached my house, got off my bike, pushed my bike a few steps and fell forward, together with my bike.


Just completed the reports I had to write this morning, before going to work, and still managed to catch the bus. So now I have time to do other things.


Been making a lot of progress on the website at work. Because I can basically spend all my time on the project, and also since my understanding of the technologies is getting more complete.


My dad asked me just now regarding machining an odd-shaped part. Basically the way it works is you have this metal piece and you maybe want to drill a hole in it, so you strap the piece to equipment that spins it rapidly about an axis. Then you move a non-rotating bit towards the piece and that drills a hole.


The problem was that this piece is somewhat asymmetrical, so it kinda wobbles quite violently when you spin it. And I did some thinking and basically there is going to be a force on the axle as long as the center of mass is not along the axis of rotation. There will be a net centripetal force pointing away from the center of mass, like if you swing a ball attached to a length of string.


Life is good.

No comments: