Tuesday, March 08, 2005

the office

The presentation went pretty well today. Got Eugene to come along with me and the boss of boss (let's just call her "Mdm" in this post), because there was so much equipment to bring. I think Mdm saw the name tag on my bag and so she asked if my girlfriend's name was "Ann-Marie", and she said that was a nice name, and asked how we met, so I told her, and she said "wah, you quite brave ah".


They were pretty impressed with the program, and there were rather tangential questions about how the data is being secured. Related to all the projection of cost savings, which is in stark contrast with my miserly pay of $350 a month, the chairman made some comments about how I shouldn't think that my work is of little worth because I'm getting so little...


The interesting part really was afterwards, because they continued on their meeting, and Mdm and I left the room, thinking that we'd just have to wait until their meeting was over to dismantle and pack up all our stuff. So she started telling Eugene and I her life story.


She grew up in a kampong, and was always running about, and since young fed the chickens in her uncle's chicken farm for pocket money, and would save up to buy textbooks and school materials each year. Even as a small girl, she and her twin brother did stuff like pour huge sacks of feed into a mixer, which sounds pretty dangerous.


She runs very fast, and she's super driven, always telling herself she wants to be first then she runs like crazy. Once she donated blood in the morning then ran later and almost fainted. Once she actually blacked out when running a half marathon. And she was like second or something, first thing she asked when she found herself on a bed was whether she finished the race and what was her position.


She also wanted to do well in studies, transferred to another secondary school in order to do pure science, taught her classmates how to do titration, did Chemistry in university. She described how in JC she would go for classes then run after school then run home to feed the chickens then study after that... and every day was like that. Pretty amazing, she's definitely going to go far.


Getting a sore throat... not sure why...


Oh, and on the way back to office after the presentation, Yinglan called Mdm but she was driving so she got me to answer it, and he asked if he could go off first, and I said yes, and only after that did I realize I probably should have asked Mdm rather than answering "yes" myself!


Something that also confuses me is that sometimes I meet Sam in the morning, like this morning, and I say hi to him, but then he walks ahead as if I'm not there...

No comments: