Tuesday, March 08, 2005

technical difficulties

Stupid sore throat. Feeling sick.


Was coding JavaScript and then I got up to go to the toilet, and looked at my watch, and it was 5:50pm, so I missed my bus. This has never happened before, that I so lost track of time. But I guess the reason was that everyone else was not leaving yet, so I assumed it was still early. Things are getting really busy in the office.


Anyone else get this message from the TagBoard?

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on '67.15.84.70' (111) in /home/httpd/tag-board.com/httpdocs/tagboard.msq on line 30
Error 4002: We are experiencing temporary technical difficulties. Please try again later


We won $3000 yesterday for the program I wrote (which is the maximum award, I think). Mdm suggested we split it $1500 each, and maybe I should have taken her more seriously. Could possibly have gotten at least $100? Because if all this money goes to the department also not much use mah, it's wasteful to go to extravagant dinners.


Seems like my NS is turning out to be an exercise in ego-inflation. But I'm quite humble, lah. Just that I'm not so conscious of my supposed "place", and am prone to making mistakes of deciding things that probably aren't up to me to decide. The pathetic state of my fitness is decidedly humbling, I must say.


Started reading the copy of American Scientist I keep in my bag. The article I'm reading now is about using nuclear quadrupole resonance to detect bombs and mines. Uses external electric fields and electrical quadrupoles of nuclei, while nuclear magnetic resonance uses external magnetic fields and magnetic dipole moments of nuclei.

2 comments:

AcidFlask said...

Cool, have they figured out how to extend the detection range yet?

I did a lit. review of that stuff last year; I can pass you some info if you want.

Zhiming Darren TAN said...

Detection range... it talks about this vehicle that kinda goes around looking for mines, but it's a pretty slow process, so better for this to do confirmation tests, after first using other faster (but less accurate) methods to mark out suspicious spots.

Cool that you did that stuff last year, I certainly don't mind finding out more about it!